Meeting Minutes of April 27, 2021

PASTORAL COUNCIL MEETING

April 27, 2021

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by President Wayne Mattson,

Members Present:  Kathy Pierce, Sue Jones, Linda DeBroux, Carol Krieger, Wayne Mattson, Freddy Andrade, Emelda August, Lorena Gudiel, Kevin McVicker, Fr. Ramon, Larry Pemberton

Opening Prayer -  Wayne Mattson.

Parish Town Hall meeting – Monday, May 3, 7:00 pm.  Father hopes most of the members of the parish council will attend. He will use both languages at the Town Hall and hopes to do so at parish council meetings. language.  He shared a Zoom link for the meeting.  Parishioners will get notes from Father ahead of time and will be able to ask questions about the one-hour presentation.  The Town Hall will cover the following topics: the order and maintenance of the parish, growth, participation, finances, and the spiritual and material needs of the parishioners.  Lorena requested paper copies of the Zoom link.

Phone Calls to Parishioners – Fr. Ramon.  Father thanked everyone for volunteering to call.  Fr. will reveal how many people were called at the Town Council Meeting and the resulting analysis of membership.  Seventy-three or seventy-four percent were called.  Father is open to calling the rest if we get the volunteers.

Festival Planning:  Holy Family will have an in-person festival in the fall.  Tents will be used for food, rides, beer, raffle, and silent auction.  Need co-chairs and other organizers.  Will be smaller, but safe.  Next festival meeting is Monday, May 24th at 7 pm.

2021 Nominating Committee Update:  Larry said we have two nomination forms for vacancies.  He recommended that we hold the nominations open until May 9th to hopefully receive other nominations.

Racism Initiative:  Fr. Ramon said that the bishop happily accepted the mission and vision statements by the  planning committee.  The Bishop is going to present these goals to the priests in early June.  He will ask the priests how to implement the goals.   Discussion was held on how to practically make a difference. Father shared the goals of the Bishop’s council on racism. We should continue to bring to the council our ideas.  Father asks us to be patient as these important changes to promote unity often take much prayer and thought.  Any practical advice is welcome.  Surprise was expressed that not all Council members had watched the recording of the racism symposium that took place in February, and Council members were challenged to watch it and consider as part of the larger initiative.  A recording can be watched here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8tvSWkcu4.

Considerations to continue on how the Council and the parish can address this larger cultural issue.

Father’s Corner:  We cannot find people willing to work in the office only on Sat. or Sun.  These are difficult spots to fill.   The office is closed for the time being on Saturdays and Sundays.  Applicants need to speak two or more languages.

Ad-hoc Items from Council Members:

  • A concern was expressed about lack of younger people at English masses. One suggestion was to incorporate younger people into ministries like lectors, ushers, and eucharistic ministers
  • Concerns were expressed about older parishioners and lack of knowledge/interest in Flocknotes, video technology, and other ways of communicating. We need to keep them in mind as we use new modes of communication
  • As part of the Council’s larger goal of drawing people back to the church post-pandemic, and also being welcoming to all people, Kevin located a resource on multi-cultural awareness. It was suggested that our front-line ministers, and particularly our ushers, avail themselves of that resource at the following link:  https://www.usccb.org/committees/cultural-diversity-church/intercultural-competencies

Closing Prayer – Father Ramon

 

Respectfully Submitted.

 

Carol Krieger

Approved 5/22/2021

PASTORAL COUNCIL MEETING

April 27, 2021

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by President Wayne Mattson,

Members Present:  Kathy Pierce, Sue Jones, Linda DeBroux, Carol Krieger, Wayne Mattson, Freddy Andrade, Emelda August, Lorena Gudiel, Kevin McVicker, Fr. Ramon, Larry Pemberton

Opening Prayer -  Wayne Mattson.

Parish Town Hall meeting – Monday, May 3, 7:00 pm.  Father hopes most of the members of the parish council will attend. He will use both languages at the Town Hall and hopes to do so at parish council meetings. language.  He shared a Zoom link for the meeting.  Parishioners will get notes from Father ahead of time and will be able to ask questions about the one-hour presentation.  The Town Hall will cover the following topics: the order and maintenance of the parish, growth, participation, finances, and the spiritual and material needs of the parishioners.  Lorena requested paper copies of the Zoom link.

Phone Calls to Parishioners – Fr. Ramon.  Father thanked everyone for volunteering to call.  Fr. will reveal how many people were called at the Town Council Meeting and the resulting analysis of membership.  Seventy-three or seventy-four percent were called.  Father is open to calling the rest if we get the volunteers.

Festival Planning:  Holy Family will have an in-person festival in the fall.  Tents will be used for food, rides, beer, raffle, and silent auction.  Need co-chairs and other organizers.  Will be smaller, but safe.  Next festival meeting is Monday, May 24th at 7 pm.

2021 Nominating Committee Update:  Larry said we have two nomination forms for vacancies.  He recommended that we hold the nominations open until May 9th to hopefully receive other nominations.

Racism Initiative:  Fr. Ramon said that the bishop happily accepted the mission and vision statements by the  planning committee.  The Bishop is going to present these goals to the priests in early June.  He will ask the priests how to implement the goals.   Discussion was held on how to practically make a difference. Father shared the goals of the Bishop’s council on racism. We should continue to bring to the council our ideas.  Father asks us to be patient as these important changes to promote unity often take much prayer and thought.  Any practical advice is welcome.  Surprise was expressed that not all Council members had watched the recording of the racism symposium that took place in February, and Council members were challenged to watch it and consider as part of the larger initiative.  A recording can be watched here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8tvSWkcu4.

Considerations to continue on how the Council and the parish can address this larger cultural issue.

Father’s Corner:  We cannot find people willing to work in the office only on Sat. or Sun.  These are difficult spots to fill.   The office is closed for the time being on Saturdays and Sundays.  Applicants need to speak two or more languages.

Ad-hoc Items from Council Members:

  • A concern was expressed about lack of younger people at English masses. One suggestion was to incorporate younger people into ministries like lectors, ushers, and eucharistic ministers
  • Concerns were expressed about older parishioners and lack of knowledge/interest in Flocknotes, video technology, and other ways of communicating. We need to keep them in mind as we use new modes of communication
  • As part of the Council’s larger goal of drawing people back to the church post-pandemic, and also being welcoming to all people, Kevin located a resource on multi-cultural awareness. It was suggested that our front-line ministers, and particularly our ushers, avail themselves of that resource at the following link:  https://www.usccb.org/committees/cultural-diversity-church/intercultural-competencies

Closing Prayer – Father Ramon

 

Respectfully Submitted.

 

Carol Krieger

Approved 5/22/2021

 

Your are Now Leaving the Holy Family Catholic Church Website

Click HERE to Continue.